Monkeys, a tomato and the boy wonder.

I heard about this epidemic going round and thought to myself, "hmmm. I got to get me some of that".

Friday, July 21, 2006

Intro to Application Development. What the hell am I doing here?

Recently I've been introduced to a person that knows high-level application programming and who is willing to share his knowledge with me, to help me learn the basics of application development. Chris Elkins rocks! Anyway, I had the pleasure to talk through a few ideas I had for applications and one stood out to get both of use excited and to work. One I had already thought through, written a scope document for, and even designed how the interface should look. More details on that as it comes.

So my main responsibility is the user interface. First of all, I barely know anything about developing an application let alone, developing an interface for an application. I know how to layout interfaces in Photoshop, Illustrator, or any other graphics program you choose, develop CSS/HTML interfaces, and Flash interfaces, just never had to do an application interface. Well, this has never stopped me before and what better way to learn something then to do it? So I've begun the interface.

It's a simple application concept with only 3 windows of interaction needed. I was able to setup these 3 windows based off the graphics already created in a matter of 2 days using Interface Builder.

*Oh, side note. We are developing an OSX application using Cocoa through xCode and Interface Building.

I then hooked up most the connections and made numerous revisions to the interface for better usability. Usability is an ongoing process through a life of any project. Once you accept that you're life with use "Usability-heads" will be so much easier.

Thinking my part was done, I have now been assigned the task of getting the "Burn a Disc" functionality working. God help us all. So I've started research on that. Looks exciting and as I watch the other parts of the application functionality come together I'm sure I'll have this taken care of. Until that point we found a couple more flaws in the interface and I've seemed to preoccupy my time with developing the application icon. It's sweet. Here it is below.

2 Comments:

At 7/21/2006 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds very cool. Are you going to sell it?

 
At 7/21/2006 12:55 PM, Blogger MGal said...

It is a very nice icon ;). I wouldn't know where to even think about starting to develop something like this. In the future, I'll just come to you with my ideas and take a 40% cut of the revenue when its all finished. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home